Established Norman Law Firm Providing Skilled & Personal Legal Counsel

Norman Court Order Modification Lawyers

How Do You Change A Decree or Judgment?

If you have a court order, judgment, or decree, and you want to change it, there are several ways this can be done:

  • Move to Vacate: This procedure involves filing a petition to set aside or overrule an earlier order. Generally, a court may vacate an order when there has been fraud, a mistake, or an error in drafting and entering the order or judgment. There are strict time limits for these Motions, so it is important that you contact an attorney immediately in order to make sure you are able to move forward with your request.
  • Move for a New Trial: If there are procedural errors or irregularities which occurred during a trial, then a motion for a new trial can be filed. Again, Motions for a New Trial can only happen within a specific time after the original trial, so it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we can be sure to file your request with the Court during the deadlines.
  • Application for an Order Nunc Pro Tunc: This procedure can have the terms of an order or decree altered for good cause after the court has ruled. Usually, an Order Nunc Pro Tunc is entered to correct a mistake in the prior court order, or to change a court order so that it meets specific requirements and allows you to do what you needed from that Order.
  • Modification of a Decree: This procedure is available to a party where there is a change in circumstance or condition, for example, when custody of a child needs to be changed due to a change in the parents’ circumstances. This can be done at any time, but you need to be able to prove that there is a good reason.
  • Motion to Reconsider: This is a summary application for a court to reconsider its ruling shortly after it is entered and made part of court record. This kind of Motion also has a strict deadline, so if you want to ask the Court to change its ruling in this way, it is important that you contact us immediately and have all of your documents and things prepared in advance.

All of these procedures have particular applications and, most often, research of facts and law will determine which apply. After the initial investigation of the facts and research of the law, we can determine what is the proper course to follow. Thereafter, we file the correct pleading and go forward with further inquiries and filings. The court may order a hearing or might decide based on sworn statements and documents which support your need to get the case reconsidered.

Our firm has over 35 years of experience in these kinds of complex cases. Our court order modification lawyers in Norman can protect your rights and fight for your best interests. Call us at (405) 703-6552.

“Not only were they very professional but, they were quick with results. I am very satisfied.”

- Kori
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.

Dedicated Legal Representation

Guiding Families & Businesses Through the Legal System
  • Attorneys with 35+ Years of Combined Experience

    At Rick Dane Moore and Associates Law Firm, P.L.L.C., we are focused on providing smart and skilled legal counsel.

  • Free Phone Consultations Available to Our Clients

    To help you and our firm have a better idea of what legal options might be the best for you, we offer free consultations.

  • Certified to Practice Before Multiple Tribal Courts

    Along with our multiple bar admissions in Oklahoma and the U.S., we could represent you in tribal courts.