Established Norman Law Firm Providing Skilled & Personal Legal Counsel

Name Change Lawyers in Norman

Effectively Helping You Change Your Legal Name

In order to change your name or the name of your child after a divorce or other proceeding, you need to give notice and appear in court. We have over 35 years’ experience in family law in Oklahoma, and many of our cases end up involving changing the names of people involved, especially after a divorce or the adoption of a child. You can count on our name change lawyers in Norman to help you fight for the results you need.

What Are the Steps to Changing a Child’s Name?

If we can get the consent of both parents and a waiver filed with the court, it makes things easier.

A child’s name can be changed in Oklahoma without additional proceedings during an adoption, or during the determination of paternity. Otherwise, changing a child’s name requires the consent of both parents or a determination by the court that it would be in the child’s best interest to have their name changed. For example, if you have recently been divorced and are looking to change the child’s last name so that they do not share their father’s last name, you will need to file a petition with the court and explain why the child’s name should not be the same as their father’s.

A lot of people, when they get remarried, assume that they can simply change the child’s last name to the last name of their new spouse. This is not true. You will need to have your spouse adopt the child, and that will require either the consent of the child’s other parent or the termination of their parental rights. If a person’s parental rights are terminated, either by consent or by the court, then they can no longer be obligated to pay child support. Having your new spouse adopt your children in order to change their last name will end your ex-spouse’s duty to pay child support.

How Do I Get Started?

Get together any of the documents in relation to custody arrangements for your child, or the child’s reason for wanting to change their name, if changing a child’s name. Bring your divorce decree with you, if changing your name. Many divorce decrees include automatic changes back to the wife’s maiden name, but you may need to go to court to be sure. Bring any other court documents or records that you have, including any records about the person whose name you and/or your child currently share and your reasons for wanting the change of name.

If you are trying to change your child’s name after remarriage and the child’s father doesn’t agree, then bring any and all documents that show why your ex-spouse’s rights should be terminated so that your current spouse can adopt the child. If your child’s other parent does agree to the change of the child’s name, then we will draft the appropriate consent forms for them to sign and will send them to them or their attorney directly.

Once you have all your documents together, give our office a call, and we will go over the case with you in a free 15-minute telephone consultation and explain to you, generally, the steps that we will need to take to get the name change completed. After that, we will make arrangements for you to meet with us so that we can review your documents together and gather any other information that we need from you. We will also send you a retainer agreement to review, which we will go over with you both by phone and at our first meeting in person.

What if I Can’t Meet at Your Office?

We can communicate with you by phone and by email to get your story and get all of the documents that we need from you. Then, we can send you documents to review and sign by mail and email, so that you are able to help us prepare your case. Once we have everything ready to go, we can take the documents to the court and file them, and send you copies of everything by mail and email so that you can review them at a time and place that is convenient for you. We will meet with you at the courthouse before any hearing in order to go over your case and our strategy for the hearing and to answer any questions that you might have in-person.

Contact our experienced name change attorneys in Norman for help with handling your name change case at (405) 703-6552.

“Not only were they very professional but, they were quick with results. I am very satisfied.”

- Kori
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.

Dedicated Legal Representation

Guiding Families & Businesses Through the Legal System
  • Attorneys with 35+ Years of Combined Experience

    At Rick Dane Moore and Associates Law Firm, P.L.L.C., we are focused on providing smart and skilled legal counsel.

  • Free Phone Consultations Available to Our Clients

    To help you and our firm have a better idea of what legal options might be the best for you, we offer free consultations.

  • Certified to Practice Before Multiple Tribal Courts

    Along with our multiple bar admissions in Oklahoma and the U.S., we could represent you in tribal courts.