Established Norman Law Firm Providing Skilled & Personal Legal Counsel

Paternity Lawyers in Norman

Effectively Helping You Establish Paternity

Knowing whether or not you are the father of a child and establishing custody, visitation, and child support will give you peace of mind so that you can go on with your life. Our firm has over 35 years’ experience in paternity actions and can help you to get the relief that you need, including reasonable visitation and child support for your children. We have fought for, and won, paternity actions all the way through appeals to the Oklahoma Supreme Court, and will fight for you.

How is Paternity Established?

Establishing paternity and reasonable child support and visitation rights can be easily attained either through the statutory procedure compelling compliance or by agreement of the parties. Paternity can be established by being the presumed, acknowledged, or adjudicated father. Either the mother or father of a child can begin an action to determine paternity.

Paternity is presumed for any child born to a married couple. A woman’s husband is presumed to be the father of any children that she has during the marriage, and court proceedings are necessary in order to determine otherwise. Also, if the mother and father get married after the child is born, paternity might be presumed. Finally, paternity can be presumed if the father resided with the child and “held the child out as his” for the first two years of the child’s life. The relevant statute in Oklahoma is Oklahoma Statutes, Title 10, Section 7700-607.

Paternity can also be acknowledged by both parents. Usually, this is when a non-married couple has the father’s name placed on the birth certificate. The parents can also file an Acknowledgement of Paternity with the Department of Human Services. Additionally, if the mother has filed a Paternity Petition with the court, the father can acknowledge paternity through the court proceedings. You cannot establish paternity through acknowledgment if there is a different person who is the presumed father of the child unless the presumed father actively denies paternity. For example, if you believe you are the father of a child, but the mother is married to another man and was married to him when she gave birth to the child, you cannot acknowledge paternity unless he denies paternity through a court proceeding. You can file a petition with the court to have the court adjudicate you as the father of the child.

Having paternity adjudicated involves presenting evidence to the court to determine who the father of the child is, and to establish child custody, visitation, and child support. The evidence presented to the court can include genetic testing of the child and potential father, evidence that the purported father has acted in the role of “father” to the child for a certain period of time, and evidence of custody and support of the child. A person does not necessarily have to be the biological father of a child to be adjudicated as the father. For example, if you and the child’s mother were together at the time the child was born, and you have acted as the child’s father for more than the first two years of his life, the court might find that you are the father of the child, even if a DNA test says that you are not biologically related to the child.

Does Proving Paternity of a Child Determine Custody & Child Support Arrangements?

Generally, if the child’s parents are not married and do not live together, one of the parents will be established as the “primary custodian” of the child. In Oklahoma, the mother is given presumed custody of all children born outside of a marriage, but the father can gain custody through paternity proceedings by proving it is in the child’s best interest to live with him. The person the child lives with for the majority of the time is the primary custodian of that child. Often, even if one parent is the primary physical custodian of a child, the parents still share legal custody. That means that the parents both share in responsibilities for decision making, medical care, and education of the child. Some couples can agree to full joint custody, which means that the child lives with them each roughly half of the time.

In most cases, the parent whom the child lives with the majority of the time does not pay child support. Having legal custody of a child does not determine whether you pay child support, and you cannot give up your parental responsibility to a child without another person adopting them or without the agreement of the mother of that child.

Even if you have a joint parenting agreement and split custody evenly, then the parent who has the greater income might have to pay support for the child, even though the child lives with that person half of the time.

What Do I Need to Do Next?

We will go over your case and we will assist you in establishing an action plan during your free 15-minute telephone consultation with one of our attorneys. Once you hire our firm, we will review all of your documents and will file any needed paperwork and attend to putting together your evidence so that we can efficiently get this matter behind you. To help us get started, we ask you to write the story out in your own words and bring it to us before we begin drafting your Petition to establish paternity. You should completely describe every facet you can recall of your relationship with the mother and child in detail in two to five pages. This helps us to understand your situation, and also helps to save time and money in legal fees and research.

What if I Can’t Come to Meet You?

We can communicate with you by phone and by email to get your story and get all of the documents that we need from you. Then, we can send you documents to review and sign by mail and email, so that you are able to help us prepare your case. Once we have everything ready to go, we can take the documents to the court and file them, and send you copies of everything by mail and email so that you can review them at a time and place that is convenient for you. We will meet with you at the courthouse before any hearing in order to go over your case and our strategy for the hearing and to answer any questions that you might have in-person.

Why is Your Law Firm the Best Choice?

This firm has over 35 years of practice in trial law and we see your case from your perspective. We know first-hand of the issues facing a single parent. We will work with you to protect your rights and also to do what is best for your children.

Contact our experienced paternity lawyers in Norman for help with handling your paternity case at (405) 703-6552.

“Not only were they very professional but, they were quick with results. I am very satisfied.”

- Kori
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.

Dedicated Legal Representation

Guiding Families & Businesses Through the Legal System
  • Attorneys with 35+ Years of Combined Experience

    At Rick Dane Moore and Associates Law Firm, P.L.L.C., we are focused on providing smart and skilled legal counsel.

  • Free Phone Consultations Available to Our Clients

    To help you and our firm have a better idea of what legal options might be the best for you, we offer free consultations.

  • Certified to Practice Before Multiple Tribal Courts

    Along with our multiple bar admissions in Oklahoma and the U.S., we could represent you in tribal courts.